My Obsession With True Crime

When you ask someone “what are your hobbies?” you tend to expect the usual answers of reading, drawing, yoga… but you probably don’t expect them to say “oh I’m into murder”.

True crime is something I’ve been obsessed with for as long as I can remember. I don’t know how or why it started, although I think my mum’s love of CSI: New York and always having it on for several years maaaay have had something to do with it. When I was in high school and applying for uni I desperately wanted to study Criminology and Law but sadly didn’t have the grades for it. I’ve always described myself as “morbidly curious” as weird as that sounds. I’m not particularly squeamish and I like to know the gruesome details of a crime while others tend to close their ears or look away.

I promise I’m normal. Stay with me.

Let’s go into the main reasons why I love true crime.

1. It’s so BLOODY INTERESTING

Nuff said really.

It is though! From robberies to abductions, to murder and fifty year old cold cases – everything is so interesting. I can never learn enough and I always want to know more. I recently did an online course on Forensic Science because of my interest in true crime and it’s genuinely one of the best things I’ve ever done. I learned everything from toxicology and blood spatter to being able to calculate the exact time that someone died. Again, morbid stuff but so interesting.

2. It’s educational

So there’s tonnes of stuff to learn about the crimes themselves, but there’s also things to learn about keeping yourself safe. Everything I’ve ever watched or read has almost kind of helped me prepare myself for a horrible situation. Being able to know how someone survived something as terrible as a shooting or a kidnapping can potentially help you to prepare for the worst to happen. I think this is also called being extremely paranoid but you also never know.

3. My dream job is a criminologist

Or a lawyer. Or a forensic scientist. I’d be happy with any of them. Genuinely, if I could go to uni now I’d definitely study forensics and criminology in some way. Unlike most subjects in school, this is something I’d be so interested in and everyone knows it’s so much easier to learn when it’s something you actually want to learn. Sadly I don’t have the time (or the money) to go to uni so I’ll just stick to reading books and pretending I’m a lawyer while watching The Staircase.

I’m really hoping this isn’t coming across as “I think crime and murder are great, yay!”. I’ve always said that unless it’s something that you’re also obsessed with – you just wont get it. I’m very lucky that I have a couple of friends who are exactly the same, and also that Cam just puts up with me at this point and occasionally watches a documentary with me (what a babe).

I’d be really interested to hear if any of you guys love true crime as well, it’ll make me feel less weird if you do! I also really want to start doing occasional true crime posts about my fave true crime podcasts/books and cases that I find super interesting, so let me know down below if you’d be interested in that!

Louise

x

Share:

22 Comments

1. July 15, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I LOVE TRUE CRIME. I’ve watched probably (definitely) over 200 episodes of Forensic Files on Netflix, and I’m still going ๐Ÿ˜‚ I’m also in love with Buzzfeed Unsolved, and if you haven’t checked that out, you should! The boys are so funny and the episodes are set out so well, I love them! I’d also love to hear what shows and podcasts you listen to – I want to start getting into podcasts, and true crime ones seen right up my alley โ˜บ๏ธ

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

• louiseee
      July 15, 2018 / 2:10 pm

Yesss forensic files is amazing!! Proper old school as well ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™m obsessed with the Buzzfeed Unsolved supernatural seriesโ€™, itโ€™s so good ๐Ÿ˜ญ
      Iโ€™m defo going to do a post on my fave shows and podcasts, I just need to narrow them down first ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Louise // https://lifewithlouise.com

2. July 15, 2018 / 7:29 pm

I LOVE true crime! Most of the series I watch on Netflix are true crime or prison documentaries, and my boyfriend finds it mad hahah. Found your blog through tonight’s Blogger’s Sparkle chat and I adore your layout and photos lovely xx

• louiseee
      July 15, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Yesssss ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Iโ€™ve watched so many prison documentaries itโ€™s unreal ๐Ÿ˜‚ Thank you so much! I hope you stick around ๐Ÿ’–

Louise // https://lifewithlouise.com

3. July 15, 2018 / 8:13 pm

I also love true crime! It never interested me as a career path, but itโ€™s something I enjoy reading about in my free time! Me and my partner often watch crime documentaries on date nights! You are not alone, donโ€™t worry.xx

angelwingsandpetticoats.com

• louiseee
      July 15, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Thatโ€™s like an ideal date night to me although I donโ€™t think Cam would go for it ๐Ÿ˜ญ Itโ€™s so fascinating though right?!

Louise // https://lifewithlouise.com

4. July 15, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I love tv shows about crime! Criminal minds and Luther are my absolute favs x

5. July 16, 2018 / 12:19 am

I LOVE true crime, my husband thought it was weird at first and I was plotting his demise but it is a huge interest of mine, love me some Dateline NBC (even though they could tell those stories in 10 minutes, not 2 hours) as well as Forensic Files. I also love true crime podcasts with my favourites being Casefile and also Canadian True Crime Podcast! Great post, glad I am not alone in my obsession!

6. July 16, 2018 / 12:44 am

One episode of My Favorite Murder said it best. Something along the lines of, “We all get together and talk about the dark shit we love because you can’t talk about it with just anyone.” Hi, I’m Karlie. I, too, am obsessed with true crime, cults, and extreme belief. ๐Ÿ™Œ

• louiseee
      August 4, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Hi Karlie, lets sit crooked and talk straight ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

Louise // https://lifewithlouise.com

7. July 16, 2018 / 4:06 pm

I love a crime documentary and I love the police side of my job, it’s all so interesting I agree.

Kate xx

8. July 19, 2018 / 7:03 am

Yay! Im not the only one either hahaa. Would love to hear more about the documentries and podcasts your into. I find UK crime most shocking- probably becauase its close to home. Very interested to hear any documentary suggestions you might have.

๐Ÿ™‚

• louiseee
      August 4, 2018 / 8:07 pm

Yaaaaay!! I’ll definitely try and plan some posts in the future!

Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ™‚

Louise // https://lifewithlouise.com

9. venus aby
    July 25, 2018 / 11:13 pm

I LOVE TRUE CRIME TOO! I just find it so fascinating! I normally watch true crime documentaries on Netflix, like Evil Genius or watch people on YouTube explaining the true crime from the research they’ve done!

venus | https://venusaby.blogspot.com

10. August 17, 2018 / 12:10 pm

I’m exactly the same!! I love anything true crime related and watching documentaries about serial killers (I just want to know how their mind works and what possessed them to do some crazy acts!) I also watched The Staircase and loved every second of it. I’m glad I’m not the only true crime ‘weirdo’ out there <3

11. Sophie
    September 21, 2018 / 7:21 am

Yess!! I’m studying justice at uni and I’ll be majoring in criminology so I’m super excited! It’s so fascinating but my favourite part is understanding why people do the things they do. It still shocks me that people don’t realise it starts with early child development, so parenting is very important!! Lovely post!

-Sophie x