My Experience With: Tape-In Hair Extensions

Hair extensions.

They’re something I considered getting for the longest time. I’ve always had really thin hair naturally which I’ve never minded too much, but there were days where I really just wanted more body and more length to my hair. My hair type is thin, dry and frizzy – a combination of dreams right? But thankfully I’ve started going to an absolutely incredible hairdresser lately who knows exactly how to handle my hair – thanks Dean!

When I first started going to Dean he mentioned something called tape-in extensions – something I had never heard of before. Essentially they’re kind of like clip-in extensions, except they’ve got strips of tape along the top instead of the clips. These sounded a lot more appealing to me than the micro-rings or a full-on weave, plus they’re way cheaper too.

I was quite lucky with mine in the sense that I turned up for an appointment to get my colour touched up, mentioned that I wanted extensions and it just so happened that Dean had a set of hair that almost perfectly matched my colour. They also had a discount for getting them installed which was just a bonus! So Dean did my colour, trimmed the ends and then measured out how much hair would be needed for a fuller look. I think in the end he used a full pack on me the first time round, and then the second time he used about a pack and a half.

The process of getting them taped in doesn’t really take long at all, though I suppose that depends on how many tapes you actually get. I think for me it took around 20 minutes to half an hour to get them in and trim them to the length that matched my natural hair (plus an inch or so because a girl’s gotta have length!)

Here’s a little before & after:
before shot of natural hair before tape ins
after shot of tape in exentsions

Obviously it’s been styled in the second picture but I think you can definitely tell the difference in thickness. And it’s definitely more noticeable to me when I style it.
Altogether I think it cost roughly just over Β£100 in total: colour & extensions. I can’t remember exactly since I got the discount they were doing but roughly about Β£100, which isn’t actually too bad considering I’ve seen weaves cost upwards of Β£200. They can last up to anywhere up to eight weeks if you look after them (which is actually pretty easy, you just treat them like your own hair!), and then after that time you can either have them re-taped and put back in, or you can just choose to leave them out for a bit. I’m not sure if it’s the same in all salons but with mine they hold onto the hair for you and then that’s your hair to come back to whenever you want.

I’d definitely recommend giving tape-in extensions a go if you’re like me and dreaming about longer or thicker hair, and you perhaps can’t afford or don’t want to commit to a full weave. I’ve absolutely loved mine so far, though the only thing I would say is perhaps don’t go for more than six weeks without getting them seen to – it’s been about that time for me now and I’ve actually had two of my tapes come out within the last few days. The first time I had them done though I managed the full six weeks without any problems so you might be fine! Besides losing two (haha), they’ve been amazing, I feel like I can do so much more with my hair now and it just doesn’t look as lifeless when I wear it down. Plus since I’ve had them, I’ve had my real hair dyed so it’s now a teeny bit darker than the extensions so now they look like highlights which is just a bonus!

I hope this post was at least a little bit helpful for anyone thinking about extensions or anyone just curious. Let me know down below if you’ve tried tape-ins before, or any other kind of extensions and what you thought of them!

Louise

x

Share:

24 Comments

1. April 26, 2018 / 8:31 pm

This looks so cool! Your hair looks great now. I'm definitely going to send this to some of my friends who've been thinking about doing this πŸ™‚

2. April 26, 2018 / 8:33 pm

I just got keratin bond extensions and I LOVE them! I think I might try the LA weave next time just because my natural hair is a bit wavier than the extensions and it can be tricky to straighten my hair a bit to blend it in properly without hitting the bond which you're not supposed to apply heat to! But genuinely, I love them because once I've washed it, I can genuinely get away with doing nothing with it until next wash and sometimes I can get a full week on one wash and it still isn't greasy or anything!! 😍 Yours look so nice!

3. April 26, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Oooooh I’ve always been curious about the keratin ones. I’m the same with washing them! Can probably get away with once a week if I try πŸ˜† Thanks so much for reading!

Louise // https://www.lifewithlouise.com

4. April 26, 2018 / 9:27 pm

It sounds like you had a great experience with your. Your hair looks incredible with the extra body too! Do the tape ins pull on your natural hair at all like regular clips do? x

Sophie

5. April 28, 2018 / 6:41 pm

They look amazing! I don't think they would ever be able to find extensions in my colour, but my hair is a bit puffy anyway so I think I'll manage πŸ˜‚ also, your hair looks really cute styled like that!

Beka | astrobeks.wordpress.com

6. April 28, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Thanks so much!! Haha i thought the same but I guess I was lucky that he had a colour that matched! Ironically I got them removed today and my real hair cut shorter, but they were fun while they lasted! πŸ˜‚ xx

Louise // https://www.lifewithlouise.com

7. April 29, 2018 / 5:20 pm

Your hair looks fantastic, and so natural too! And I love the loose, beachy waves πŸ˜€ x

Sneha | lifewithsneha.com

8. April 29, 2018 / 7:23 pm

They look gorgeous and super natural! I wish i could afford extensions, my hair isnt really short its about shoulder length but i just wish i could grow it longer!

9. April 29, 2018 / 7:35 pm

How bloody gorgeous do you and these look!! I always get scared about extensions as I worry they'll tug my hair out (I've had it bleached for years and it's weak) but these sound so much better. I've never heard of tape-in ones! I'm definitely going to look into these as I'd love a bit more body in my hair!
    Alice Xx

10. April 29, 2018 / 7:40 pm

These look so natural compared to other extensions!Personally I don't need hair extensions but if I was to ever want them I'd go for this type, they look amazing!

11. April 29, 2018 / 7:42 pm

I was honestly surprised at how natural they looked! In fact everyone at my work said that they didn't realise I had extensions in. I've actually just had them removed and my hair chopped short so I'm back in the same boat as you haha!

Louise // https://www.lifewithlouise.com/

12. April 29, 2018 / 7:44 pm

omg stop! πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ The tape-in ones are more gentle on your hair for sure, in fact they actually promote hair growth! I got them taken out yesterday and my hairdresser pointed out that I have new baby hairs growing where my tapes were! Defo look into them πŸ’–

Louise // https://www.lifewithlouise.com/

13. April 29, 2018 / 7:57 pm

This looks SO good! Luckily (or unluckily) I've been blessed with really thick hair so extensions would be useless for me haha. Great post! xx

14. April 29, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Your hair looks fabulous! I've heard great things about take in extension and ideally wish they were more known when I had shorter hair as I would have Definietly used them! They look really natural.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

15. April 29, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Great post! I was considering tape in extensions a while ago but never did it, after reading this I'm now re considering x